Thursday, January 7, 2010

St. Francis House.

Today I was assigned to go to the St. Francis House for my J-term class. Prior to this I googled what the St. Francis House was all about. My first assumption was that it was like the Dorothy Day house. In high school we spent a lot of our volunteer time for a class i had to take in high school at the Dorothy Day house. Dorothy Day from Chicago was an activist who spoke out for the poor and homeless, she converted to Catholicism and embodied the beattitudes... Feed the hungry, give shelter to the homeless and clothe the naked. A house was started in Fargo Moorhead when they saw the need for a place for the homeless and down on their luck to go. Well the St. Francis house emboides the same mission. St. Francis house believes in the worth of every human being. They do anything and everything from serving meals, proving showers, Clothes, counseling, help with substants abuse, find employment, and houseing with the Next Step houseing program.

My duties started at 9 Am in the morning.. thanks kim:) But i had to get up a little bit earlier than I wanted because God blessed us with a lot of snow and I had to shovel the driveway and sidewalk! OnceI was done with that I took to the snowy, slippery streets of sioux falls to the St. Francis house. When I was arrived I was greated by Pam and she immediatly put me to work. I wrote THANK YOUS! to all the generous people who donated to the house! I was happy to do this but I felt bad for the people who recieved letters with my poor, poor, penmenship! It was great to see the number of people who were giving, some gave a lot and some gave a little but im sure every one was doing what they could. As we all know we dont need to talk about our economy but people are still giving, and the the donations were from all over the dakota's and midwest! Number one reason why I love the midwest! I am sure it is like this in other places but there is this willingness to help that I find in Midwest that I just can not get enough of!

Sitting there I saw a few people who came in and out but they didnt say much. Just happy to get a warm meal I guess. I also overheard the woman their working about how they are redoing the basement and are looking for inexpenisve ways to go foward with this home improvment. The St. Francis House is a great thing, i really want to go back and help out more if I can in anway in the Future!

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the thank you's. The St. Francis House is my favorite charity in town. The staff treats everyone like family and the take people where they are and builds them up. A better name may be St. Francis "Home."

    ReplyDelete